As the theme of my production is schizophrenia I thought that it would be a good idea to do some research into this unusual condition so that I could better understand it and its symptoms. By doing this, I gained a valuable understanding of schizophrenia and am now confident that I will be able to accurately portray the condition in my production.
As part of my research I read a book called 'I Never Promised You A Rose Garden' by Joanne Greenberg. The book is a semi-autobiographical account of a teenage girl's three-year battle with schizophrenia. Deborah Blau. She was bright and artistically talented, and created a world, 'the Kingdom of Yr', as a form of defence from a confusing, frightening reality. This book gave me an insight into the behavioral aspects and mannerisms of those with schizophrenia which will be very helpful to me when it comes to making my production.
