In order for me to decide upon the age range I wanted to target with my film trailer I did some research into the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification). My hope was that I would better understand what content I should (or shouldn't) include in my trailer in order to meet the requirements for my chosen age-group.
Before properly researching the different certificates I knew that I wanted to appeal to an age group of at least my own age. Because of this and also because I do not wish to include strong violence or sexual activity in my trailer, I decided that in order to save time it would only be necessary to look into the information behind the age 15 certificate.
After reading up on this certificate I understand that as a whole, an age 15 film may not encourage or endorse discriminatory language or behaviour. Also, drug taking may be shown but the film as a whole cannot be seen to promote or encourage it. In addition to this, the misuse of easily accessible drugs is unacceptable in an age 15 film.
On the issue of imitable behaviour, there must not be too much detail on incidents such as self-harming, hanging or suicide as it could be copied. The same goes for the glamorization of easily accessible weapons such as knives.
An element of horror, threat and/ or menace is permitted, unless it is sadistic or sexualised.
In a certificate 15 film, the use of frequent strong language is permitted. However, the stronger terms such as 'c**t' are only permitted if justified by the context. Also, it is unlikely to be accepted as a 15 if the language is repeatedly used and in an aggressive manner.
With the exception of strong detail, nudity is permitted in a certificate 15 film. Sexual activity may also be portrayed, again with the exception of strong detail.
Without dwelling on the infliction of pain and injury, (strong) violence is permitted. Despite this, it is likely to be unaccepted if the violence is sadistic or sexualised without the justification of context. Also, the strongest of gory images is likely to be unaccepted.
Now that I have an accurate understanding of exactly what an age 15 film should and should not include, I can begin to think about the angle I want to take with my own film trailer.

