So, what exactly is the difference between a theatrical trailer and a teaser trailer?
In order to fully understand my task I decided to do some research into the two different types of trailers (teaser and theatrical), this is what I found...
A theatrical trailer is almost always a lot longer and in more depth than a teaser trailer, paying more attention to detail such as the plot and exact release dates. A teaser trailer is a lot shorter and more concise, usually being released weeks or even months before the film. Also, a teaser trailer is usually made available to the audience long before a full length theatrical one.
The main aim of a teaser trailer is to, well, 'tease' the audience. It does this by only showing brief clips of the film that do not reveal much of the plot line. This is a way of engaging the audience and grabbing their attention, generating interest in the film. Usually lasting around two minutes, a teaser trailer is a lot shorter than theatrical one that can sometimes last up to four or five minutes.
Below are two trailers for the same film (one a teaser and one a theatrical). I watched these several times so that I could accurately distinguish the differences in each version and thus know what to include and what not to include in my teaser trailer.
Teaser Trailer:
Below are two trailers for the same film (one a teaser and one a theatrical). I watched these several times so that I could accurately distinguish the differences in each version and thus know what to include and what not to include in my teaser trailer.
Teaser Trailer:
Theatrical Trailer: